[sumo] ATTENTION! Important list administration announcement

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Tue Apr 3 16:18:25 EDT 2007

ATTENTION!  ATTENTION!  ATTENTION!

Synopsis:
The list needs to be migrated to a different server.  There will be a
short outage as the DNS change propagates.  The move will be targeted
for well before Natsu.  Users will not have to do anything at all for
this migration.

Details:
The current WebTrek server is being co-located as a friends site.  He
has been letting me skate there for years for free.  But now he is
moving his circuit around and can not carry me anymore.  After looking
into all options I found the alternatives -

1) Move to a hosting company (cost about $20 a month)
2) Co-locate the server at another site (cost between $150 and $350 a month)
3) Get a circuit into the house (cost approximately $800 a month)

The option with the greatest flexibility and stability is the last one
but obviously beyond means.  So a hosting company it is.

They use the same software that we're already using so migration will
be very simple.  The only thing that will have an impact is that the
list will be unavailable during the time the name service propagation.
 This will be anywhere between a few minutes to a few hours, (though,
as Kofuji can attest, there's no predicting what will happen on the
Internet).  There will also be ample warning announcements preceding
the migration.

If you have any questions or concerns please let me know.  And
apologies for the pending inconvenience.

--
Exit light; enter night.