[sumo] [spoiler] Asa and hakuhou yesterday, and kyujo

moti moti at ozumo.info
Fri Sep 8 01:52:45 EDT 2006

Mike Charlton wrote:
> On 9/7/06, moti <moti at ozumo.info> wrote:
>
>> "I did manage to get the feel in some matches..", he said. Asked why he
>> avoided  borrowing the Yokozuna's chest, he said, " The Yokozuna is
>> still injured, so.."
>

> What a strange thing to say...  I curious to see the Japanese for
> that.  Is it available anywhere?

It's actually quite common to try and explain that out of humble
courtesy, you don't want to approach a Yokozuna who isn't 100% fit.
Also, it could be a nice excuse when you don't actually WANT to face him.
Here is the original:
朝青龍の胸を借りなかったことには「横綱も(首筋を痛めていて)完全じゃない
みたいだから」と話していた。
"The Yokozuna doesn't seem to be fully fit".

>>I'm just going from what he said in Moti's post.  Able to do "some
sumo" doesn't sound particularly strong.  Maybe just another poor
translation.>>

That is the Yokozuna's usual tongue in cheek way of saying he isn't
fully fit yet, but don't worry.. Every time he has that cold, he usues
the same language too.

Nowhere have I translated that the Yokozuna "can't do Sumo", or stuff
like that. The Yokozuna himself has said he is still hurting a bit.
As an aside, some of these "injuries" should be taken with a grain of
salt. Often, when the basho starts, they tend to vanish.
And vice versa.
--
Kintamayama

Download my Sumo  toolbar at http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/