[non sumo] Hanai relationships: was [sumo] Jan Rowan, Akebono's mother

oshakam at hotmail.com oshakam at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 23 01:42:34 EDT 2006

Hi there,

It is an informal type of adoption they have used in Hawai'i for centuries.
Ususally done to help a family that already has too many children or some
other hardship that makes it difficult to properly care for the child.
Also, it is usually but not always a relative that takes your child.
Basically it is an adoption without all the red tape of government agencies.

As I wrote the above paragraph, I am wondering if it is a "Hawai'ian thing"
because I know my mothers oldest half brother was "adopted" by a relative
back in Okinawa in the early 1900's and was sent back to Japan from Hawai'i
island to live there for years.

Hope this helps.  Aloha, Owen