[sumo] Wacky, inane 'twixed basho ramblings from K-jo (was: Kyushu Basho Ticket Questions)

Jezz jejima at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 20:39:26 EDT 2006

I would say that although Westerners do tend to be a little larger (in
girth especially) than their Japanese counterparts, one of the key
things is the 'sitting.'

Japanese generally sit cross-legged (or kneel) on the floor to eat
etc.  Westerners don't do this nearly as much, so that when they do,
their legs aren't used to it.  It only takes (for me at least!) about
30 minutes of sitting cross-legged (or 10 minutes kneeling) and the
cramp starts to set in.  A full masuseki seating area does not allow
you to stretch-out.  If there are only two people in it, you can :-)

Jejima

I've met a number of Korean and Thai