[sumo] Miyabiyama: is the Spirit back?

Clay Holden cholden at kappa-joe.com
Thu May 18 21:16:06 EDT 2006

I don't think I was following sumu yet when Miyabiyama was an Ozeki...

Over the past three years, he has mostly impressed me as looking like a
tired toad who awakens from his torpor in time for each day's match, nothing
more, nothing less.

This basho, however, he appears to have reached down into his depths and
pulled out something that looks for all the world to me like genuine spirit.
Watching him on the dohyo and during interview segments after he wins
matches, there appears to be a fire burning inside him that I have never
seen before. I find it hard to connect him with the flabby has-been he has
looked to be for the past few years.

Am I the only one here who sees this? Any insight into what has brought
about the apparent change in his Spirit?

Clay