[sumo] [Spoiler] yaocho? & Katrina's message

Lon Howard itsulon at wavecable.com
Thu Mar 30 14:05:43 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Katrina" <katrina at shoin.ac.jp>
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:48 PM
Subject: Re: [sumo] [Spoiler] yaocho? & Katrina's message

> Hi Joe (et al),
>
> Actually I thought my message to Doreen was a private mail because I
> thought hers to me was one, I didn't notice the list header.  However  I'm
> glad that we  did have a chance to express publicly what we  thought about
> the yaocho conspiracy theory.
>
> I am busy now cleaning out my office at the university, as I have to  be
> out by Friday.  I'm going back to Australia to spend some time  with my
> mother, she's 87 now.  I haven't even started packing and  sorting at
> home, and after 25 years it'll be a big job, so I've given  myself a month
> to do it and will be leaving Japan in May.  I am  planning to attend the
> basho and take the opportunity to say thank  you and goodbye to all those
> in the sumo world who have been so kind  to me over the past 20 years of
> sumo watching.  If NHK will have me,  I hope to make one more appearance
> on the BS broadcast.
>
> Although I will return to Australia I don't plan on severing my sumo  ties
> completely.  I will still help the International Sumo  Federation, of
> which I am a board member, and will come to Japan from  time to time,
> naturally I will try to make it coincide with a sumo  basho.  Of course I
> will depend even more on you and the list to keep  me up to date on what's
> happening in Ozumo.
>
> Taking advantage of my new found freedom from work, I will pop over  to LA
> for the US Sumo Open next week.  If I'm lucky, as well as  enjoying
> watching the event,  I may meet some list members there.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Katrina

Katrina,

I am sorry to hear you're leaving Japan, and I surely hope you will return
someday.  So many times on this list you have not only been a very readable
authoritative source for us sumophobes, but also a sorely needed voice of
reason; so please continue your efforts on our behalf, if at all possible.
In one way, you may consider yourself lucky...last year I lost my elderly
Mom unexpectedly.  She lived in another state and I missed being there for
her, and now very much wish I had able to spend more time with her at that
stage of life.  Best of all to both of you.

Lon Howard
Shomishuu