[sumo] (spoiler) Ozeki thoughts

Jim Bitgood Jimbit2 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 19 04:43:35 EST 2006

It doesn't look good for Chiyo to make kachikoshi now. After a 5-0 start,
he has lost 3 in a row to higher-ranked opponents. Now at 5-3, he could
face the highest ranked opponents in the next 7 days. He has already faced
the Komusubi. Over the next 7 days, he could face another Sekiwake, three
Ozeki, and the Yokozuna. I don't see Chiyotaikai being able to pull out
three more victories in those matches. And tomorrow, we have kadoban vs.
kadoban, that won't help either Chiyo or Kaiou.
Kaiou will probably have more difficulty this week too., since he is
slightly closer to losing his rank than Chiyo is.
I doubt that Tochiazuma will be able to maintain his 2-loss record. He
faces the same set of opponents over the next 7 days. I'm sure he will
acquire at least one more loss over the second week.
Of course, if Chiyo and Tochi draw lesser opponents this week, then their
fates could be decided by the schedulers.

         Jim
         "Chitose-Taikai"