[sumo] Sadogatake visit-last two days

Scott Kahn smk1 at columbia.edu
Fri Jun 9 12:42:28 EDT 2006

Hi Moti,

I wanted to extend to you my sincere thanks for your efforts in
describing your personal take and contributions.  The scenes that you
describe and take pride in are fascinating, and you make it seem as
though we are tagging along.  The experience sounds amazing, and having
travelled to many of the sites the rikishi visited, the pictures are
quite vivid.  From the sleepless enthusiasm of your posts, it seems as
though you are having an experience of a lifetime.  Thanks for including
some of us lurkers.

Off topic to the Israel visit, I do want to make a comment about a prior
post here which I presume was made in reference to the 1985 mini
tournament held at Madison Square Garden here in New York.  My
experience was that the audience was furthest from what was described in
that post as an "audience of know-nothing curiosity-seekers".   I
attended that event with around 10 friends of mine, and there were many
personalities in attendence, one person who I distinctly remember was
Dick Cavet, the former talk show host who is hardly what I would refer
to as an uneducated curiousity-seeker.  The initial audience fascination
(from those who had never seen sumo before) over the large size of the
wrestlers was quickly replaced by a true appreciation for the agility
and talents of the wrestlers, especially when Chiyonofuji defeated
Konishiki.  Perhaps the audience was not as sophisticated as audiences
that attend basho in Japan, but by the end of the three days, I can
personally relate that the audience that I was around was just as
appreciative and passionate for sumo as many of us on this list, and
definitely converted.

Sukubidubidu