[sumo] TV Japan coverage

Clay Holden cholden at kappa-joe.com
Wed Feb 22 23:30:18 EST 2006

On 2/22/06 5:22 PM, "Dale Carlson" <drc at oz.net> wrote:

>> From NHK's reply:
>> Due to this contract, NHK currently has right to broadcast the Sumo
> tournament for
>> maximun of 90 minutes for oversea broadcasting.
>
> But according to http://www.nhk-jn.co.jp/wp/gene_e_sm.htm, NHK World Premium
> (which is aimed at overseas hotels, qualifying individuals, etc) broadcasts
> sumo live
> for 1 hour and 45 minutes on weekdays, and 1 hour and 50 minutes on the
> weekends.
> Hmmm.... :)

So clearly, either one or the other is false. In any case, I don't believe
NHK's reply is truthful, unless they re-negotiated their "contract"
recently. Only a year ago, they were broadcasting 90 minutes live each night
during the basho, and then a full two hours of re-run the following day at
noon (PST). When they began running the sumo wrap-up in the evenings, they
started running it in place of the noon re-broadcast.

Also, given that we TV Japan subscribers *have to* pay our monthly fee for
the service of receiving NHK programming (unlike the many folks in Japan who
simply ignore the bill), it is further annoying that we are subjected to an
endless barrage of commercials, when NHK is commercial-free in Japan.

Clay