[sumo] TV Japan coverage

Lon Howard itsulon at wavecable.com
Wed Feb 22 19:52:56 EST 2006

I just received the below response from TV Japan to the mail I sent to them a few days ago, asking for extended coverage of o-zumo, which I posted to the list as well.  It seems they're saying they can't do anything on their own.  So now the question is, what is the best way to approach NHK/NSK?  Ideas??

Lon Howard

Dear Mr.Howard

Thank you very much for your e-mail.

We checked with our Programming & Broadcasting department regarding your
comment.  According to the department,  TV JAPAN has no exclusive right to
expand broadcasting hours since the broadcasting of Sumo tournament all
depends on the contract that NHK (in Japan) has with Sumo Kyokai (Japan Sumo
Association). Due to this contract, NHK currently has right to broadcast the
Sumo tournament for maximun of 90 minutes for oversea broadcasting.
I will forward your inquiry as a  request to our Programming & Broadcasting
department  for future consideration, but  please contact Nihon Sumo Kyokai
(Japan Sumo Association) and NHK regarding this matter from your part as
well, because viewer's voice is usually the most influencial essence to the
future planning. We really appreciate your understanding to this matter.

Nihon Sumo Kyokai: http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/index.html
NHK: www.nhk.or jp

Thank you again for your inquiry.

TV JAPAN Customer Service