Joseph J. Klemmer
4979 Karen Rd.
Dale City, VA 22193
- Operating Systems: Linux, Solaris, MS Windows, Android, OS X, MacOS, MVS
- Development Toolkits: DirectX, Torque Engine, UDK, Unity, Game Maker
- Applications: Visual Studio 2008/2010, MS Office 2007/2010, Apache, MySQL, SQLite
- Held a Top Secret (DoD) Clearance
- Strong knowledge of UNIX System Administration
- Have written articles and reviews for Linux Journal, Federal Computer Week and Linux Weekly News. (See Publications Section)
- Linux Professional Institute (LPI) Level-1 Linux Certification
- Brainbench Red Hat Linux SysAdmin Certification
- Understanding and knowledge of Networking Architectures and Topologies
Independent Game Developer Jan 2013 — PresentProgrammer
- Design, build and distribute video/computer games for MS Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Android, iOS and the Web
- Game engines used include Unreal Development Kit (UDK), Unity 3D, LiveCode, GameMaker, Torque and custom built engine
Celerity IT Jan 2005 — Feb 2005Instructor/Consultant
- Developed two training courses; "Intro to Linux" and "Advanced Intro to Linux" to be given to both Management and Developers at Boscov's (a large chain of department stores).
- Performed three weeks of training on said courses at the HQ of Boscov's in Reading PA.
- Adapted the Adios Linux Live CD for use as a hands-on training tool.
US Army, Chief Technology Office Oct 1999 — Nov 2004Senior System Engineer
- Assisted in the management of the Army's overall online presence, specifically the Army Knowledge Online (AKO) portal, by far the largest global Intranet with over 1.7 million users world wide.
- Developed utilities and applications in php, perl & other languages for in-house, site-wide use by multiple departments.
- Administered various UNIX systems including Sun Solaris and Red Hat Linux on both the classified and unclassified networks.
- Monitored, managed and trouble-shot network infrastructure for all of the CTO.
- Performed extensive research activities to find new technologies and new business solutions to improve the numerous systems supported by the CTO.
- Served as a security analysts at both the network and systems level working with both Firewall and Intrusion Detection System (IDS) technologies.
WebTrek L.L.C. Jan 1996 — Dec 2002Owner/Operator
- Extensive knowledge of Linux and the Open Source world.
- Did contract work for the Executive Office of the President.
- Performed System Administration and management for multiple UNIX/Linux server system.
- Develop custom applications for clients using COBOL, php, perl, etc.
- Develop Palm OS applications.
- Sell, maintain and administer GNAT Box firewall systems.
- Administer HTTP servers Apache & WN.
- Develop CGI programs in perl, php, and various other languages as needed.
- Build, maintain and develop applications using MySQL.
- Meet with clients to work out project specifications.
US Army Publishing Agency Oct 1994 — Feb 1999Computer Specialist (Programmer)
- Administer 4 Linux servers and 1 AIX server.
- Develop CGI applications using perl, php, shell, C/C++ and various other development tools.
- Built and maintain applications using MySQL.
- Developed programs to interface the web and email to the IBM mainframe COBOL legacy systems.
- Develop as-needed COBOL programs on the mainframe to interface the data from the web/email into the IBM mainframe COBOL legacy systems.
- Research new technologies for the purpose of better conducting business processes for the organization.
Links to the following can be found at http://www.webtrek.com/joe/articles
- Interview with Rootkit Hunter author Michael Boelen - Linux Weekly News 09/30/2004
- Interview with Cobind's David Watson - Linux Weekly News 08/12/2004
- Review of Cobind Linux - Linux Weekly News 07/22/2004
- A Short History of Linux Distributions - Linux Weekly News 07/01/2004
- New Age of Languages - Linux Weekly News 06/24/2004
- Building Packages From Source With CheckInstall - Linux Weekly News 06/03/2004
- Interview with Plan-B creator J. McDaniel - Linux Weekly News 04/15/2004
- Why the Caldera/SCO Group issue matters - Slashdot Comment 10/06/2003
- Open source by any other name? - NewsForge 10/04/2003
- Some thoughts on the fall of Bagdad - Kuro5hin.org 04/09/2003
- Interview with a Grandmother - Linux Journal 01/10/2003
- OEone HomeBase 1.0 Linux Review, Part II - Linux Weekly News 05/02/2002
- OEone HomeBase 1.0 Linux Review - Linux Weekly News 04/04/2002
- The age of innocence - Federal Computer Week 12/21/2000
- SSL isn't the only "Secure" protocol - Federal Computer Week 07/06/2000
- Use the Source, Luke - Federal Computer Week 05/11/2000
- The Web is no place for geek speak - Federal Computer Week 03/09/2000
- Linux in the U.S. Army - Linux Journal 06/01/1996
- Member International Game Developers Association (IDGA), 10-present
- Member Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), 08-present
- Member US Internet Industry Association (USIIA), 99-02
- Member Association of Online Professionals (AOP), 94-99
- Member Capitol Area System Administrators (CASA), 95-99; Served as President in 1998
- Programming Languages
- Formula 1 Racing
- Japanese Professional Sumo
- F&SF Books, Movies and TV
Game Software Development Oct 2008 — Aug 2011Westwood College Online
Undergraduate Jan 1982 — May 1982University of Maryland, Munich Germany
Undergraduate Aug 1981 — Dec 1981Waynsberg College, Waynsberg PA
Undergraduate Aug 1980 — Dec 1980University of Maryland, Munich Germany
References available upon request.